2006-09-14

"Why do u read such a thick book?"

Some of my friends asked me, "Wah, are you sure or not? You read meh? This book so thick! Unbelieveable leh... I thought you only fish and fish and fish..."

The book that they are refering to is "The Hunt For Red October" by the famous writer, Tom Clancy.

Actually, I do read. I started reading at about 15yrs old... till today... I actually stopped a few years back and started again last year. Only one book last year, same author, "Into The Storm".

I read most of John Grisham's titles until 2oo2 and then I stopped... I guess I will be picking John's books in the store again. I love "The Client" most... my first Grisham's book.

Why did I switch for the moment?

"Forward, Mannion watched the depth gauge go below six hundred feet. The diving officer would wait until they got to nine hundred feet before starting to level off, the object being to zero the dive out exactly at the ordered depth. Commander Mancuso wanted the Dallas below the thermocline. This was the border between differing temperatures. Water settled in isothermal layers of uniform stratification. The relative flat boundary where the warmer water surface water met colder deep water was a semi-permeable barrier which tended to reflect sound waves. Those waves that did manage to penetrate the thermocline were mostly trapped below it......."

In books like these, I refreshed what I have learnt in the past and also learnt new physics theories which I have not learnt.

"Let's get on top of this muck," Parker said. He pulled back on the stick and headed for the clouds. In seconds they were in them, and Ryan's field of view was reduced from 5miles to five feet in an instant.

Jack looked around his cockpit, which had flight controls and instruments. Their airspeed showed one hundred and fifty knots and rising, altitude four hundred feet. This Harrier had evidently been a trainer, but the instrument panel had been altered to include the read-out instruments for a sensor pod that could be attached to the belly. A poor man's way of doing things, but from what Admiral Painter said it had evidently worked well enough. He figured the TV-type screen was the FLIR readout, which monitored a forwardlooking infrared heat sensor. The airspeed gauge now said three hundred knots, and the climb indicator showed a twenty-degree angle of attack. It felt like more than that.

"Should be hitting the top of this soon, " Parker said. "Now!"

The altimeter showed twenty-six thousand feet when Ryan was blasted by pure sunlight.........

Maybe because I was in military school before. I learnt about fighters like A4, F5 and worked on the F-16CDs. I always imagine myself flying in the jet when I sat in the cockpit... I was a crew chief and thus I got to sit in the cockpit day in day out... to ensure all instruments and panels were 'OK' to fly. I kinda missed those days... I missed my job but not the management...

I am working hard now... I hope that before I hit 40yrs old, I am able to take time off to Arizona, USA to learn to fly..... it is a dream that I really want it to come through... I want my wings..... I dont want to fly commercially but I want to fly because I like to fly... over mountains and over trees... over oceans and over seas... across the deserts... I'll be there.... kekekekeke...

No comments: