2006-09-08

Shimano Calcutta Conquest 101DC





Today, another reel dropped by me... Shimano Calcutta Conquest 101DC.

This reel is really very expensive in my opinion, online stores are offering about US$489.00.

My opinions kinda change when I take a closer look at the reel myself.

Firstly, the craftmanship is awesome. JDM (Japan Domestic Model) lives up to its name. The 'wow' factor is really WOW! The colors combination is almost perfect as each color blends and curves well into each other just like a perfect painting.

The spool spins really smoothly, trust me.... very smooth leh!!! Shimano claims that it senses the reel conditions at 1/1000sec!!! This is really awesome (to me...). So smooth... I could somehow still feel it in my veins... hahaha...

The DC (Digital Control) allows higher spool speed which Shimano claims that it could almost double in rpm in most casting conditions and thus resulting excellent and definitely better distance than most reels in its class. Awesome? I am not a mathematical expert but it does make sense to me... but meanwhile, no sense to my wallet as I have better things to look forward to. *bleah*

I believe every angler who does baitcasting will fall in love with the reel at first 'touch'. Yes, I said first 'touch'. The reel is so beautiful and its curves are so alluring...

This reel is a piece of art and thus the price is also very 'artistic'...

The little piece of 'mobo' in the reel is self-powered during casting. No batteries are included nor needed for operating this beauty. The chip within will start working when the angler works on his/her casting. The more you cast, the better the distance you get... (really?)

Too bad, I could only feel it, touch it but not cast it... sigh...

Personally, I have a Shimano Calcutta 50 2006/7 model. It casts really well, trust me in this. I love the casting that this little reel could offer and thus I believe in Shimano's claim in this Calcutta Conquest 101DC.

Overall, I love almost everything about this reel but there is one thing that puts me off... you could see copper coils deep underneath the spool... hmmm.... I guess I dont have to elaborate more about this but I believe if you are a very careful person who really take care of your fishing assets, you shouldnt be encountering much problem with this design. If the company could leave that thing exposed, they must have their reasons.

Proper maintenance will definitely prolong the life span of every reels in my own opinions.

Just like if you treat your wife nicely, she will do the same to you too. Mutual understanding... what am I talking here man...??? hahahaha...

If I really have spare cash and no other bigger plans... then I just might get myself one of these, probably the 100DC and not the 101DC.

Meanwhile, I am keeping them off me and my mind... I have better things to do....

"Go away... go away... no no no..... dont come near me.... dont come near me......"

No comments: