2006-08-28

Rompin, Malaysia - Day 1

After I blogged about me going for a breather, some of my kind friends asked me where am I really going. I gave them a broad smile and told them that I was actually going up north to Rompin targetting sailfish.

"I thought you were going Perth..."

"I wish I am going Perth too."

"You sound more interesting in going to Perth than Rompin... hahaha... I know... you miss your darling very much, right?"

"Yes I do... I miss her always."

It is my first ever trip going up to Rompin. I have heard about that the sailfishs there are plentiful and finally, I got to experience it myself.

In this trip, I fulfilled two wishes... I am very happy and I wish my darling was with me there too to share my joy.

********************************

All involved anglers met up at Beach Rd on Fri's afternoon and we set off in Joshua's Volvo XC90. I would say that this is a very comfortable trip and it sure reminded me of my days in Arizona, USA. I always like to book a Ford Explorer to roam around in the wilderness... driving a 4x4 out in the wild... the drive is exhilirating especially when you enter those tight corners... with slight tail drift... *bleah*

The traffic was smooth and really pleasant. Onboard we had Eddie (from Fishingouting), Yong and Joshua (DeepSea). Everyone was very nice and we had wonderful company throughout the whole trip.

After a good night sleep on Fri, Sat we woke up fresh with anticipation. Let me tell you, I was very positive as well as everyone.

We set off around 8.45am on Sat. As usual, the boatman would bring us to gather enough baits first before fishing. It didnt take too long and we have a bait well full of baits. No time lost, we set off to the very first spot for sail.

We chased sails for the whole day. I couldnt remember how many sails were lost due to many many reasons on the first day. A total of 12 sails were lost for both days... if we were in the competitions... I think we would be really sad... hahaha...

It didnt take long to have the first sail caught and landed. The sailfishs were around. They were eager and willing. Along the way... a few misses here and there... and two more were landed to comclude day one.

Everyone had a sailfish to 'hug' except me. I was concentrating hard to catch one on 'stick' bait and I decided to let all go first. At the end of the day, time ran out on me and nothing for me.

I had a few misses. The sailfish took my jig but the hook just didnt set. They hit my stick bait but the hook didnt get a positive hookup. The drag didnt scream at all...

I was upset but somehow I knew it wasnt the end yet as I still had one more day.

During dinner, our dear guide promised me at least a sailfish the next day. I was very encouraged by his words and hospitality. He is 58 this year but he looks lean and fit at his age.

The service for the whole trip is very very good. The guide, (I couldnt remember his name but in malay, they call him the 'beard man'. He got beard lah...) is very professional. His helper is very hardworking as well. I felt really bad as I accidentally hooked the helper when my reel's bail arm flipped closed when I cast... the stick bait swinged back and got caught on his neck... Thank God that the trebles only got his skin. Only one hook and it was simply pricking beneath the skin. Phew, I was very sorry and I apologised... (This uneventful accident happened on the second day.)

Everyone was exhausted. After dinner, at about 9.30pm... I went into dreamland...

Somehow in my heart, I could feel an assurance from God that tomorrow would be a good day for me.

I slept.

No comments: