2006-07-28

What do I think about...

Major Craft Offblow is really a nice rod in my own opinion. Not too heavy or light for pelagic fishes. If u ask me what would be my next light jigging rod? The PE 1.5-3 would be my next rod if I am going to pop and use jigs 60grams and above. The one I have is a PE 0.8-2 and 60g jigs like the Smith's ones are abit too heavy for my concern. Major Craft Offblow is definitely a nice rod to own and it is fairly affordable too. A Daiwa Freams Kix, Caldia Kix or Certate 2500 goes on it perfectly or a Shimano Twinpower or Stella C3000* as well.

As for the one I have for the trip, Daiwa Certate 2500R-CUSTOM, suits the rod really well and apparently after some serious abuse by jigging and popping, the gears are still mating really nicely. The previous trip I had a Daiwa Caldia Kix 2500. The Caldia Kix's gear has a slightly worn feel and it is not as smooth as new. I guess you get what you pay for then.

*I have not used any Shimano's C3000 and thus I am not able to comment which company has a better reel of this size. I have heard good reviews about the Twinpower though, value for money compared to Stella.

Personally, for smaller reels I prefer Daiwa Certate than Shimano's. For bigger reels meant for offshore fishing I am definitely a fan for Shimano Stella 8000 and above. The Daiwa Saltiga Z just couldnt attract me for some reasons which I cant explain myself too. LOL.

Remember the Power Pro line, phantom red? For this sample I have I would say that this new line is excellent. I thought the color would fade out on me once it touches the water... IT DIDNT. Apparently, after two days in the water, I would say the color only faded away for less than 10%, maybe in the 5% mark. The red is really nice still.

Would I purchase this line again? DEFINITELY WILL. My next favourite line after SPIDERWIRE. This new line by Power Pro repels water really well too. I guess when I purchase my next new spool of line... I would go for the Power Pro phantom red as red line is really nice to me. Meanwhile, this line is not available in the market yet so be patient with the manufacturer.

Once again, the Smith jig proves its worth out there. Although I didnt land anything out there with a smithy but check out the teeth marks. Really nice swimming action cum finishing, this jig entices the fish really well during spinning. Even if you work the jig really fast, the action gets even better!The other jig that I used in this trip got me the mackie. It didnt swim as well when spinning fast but it sure is good enough for some decent encounters out in the sea with pelagics.

That's all for now folks. Meanwhile, my friend is planning another trip up north next week... I cant wait to go but... the hole in my pocket is getting bigger each day without work... Hahaha...

No comments: