2005-09-07

Sotong Sashimi, Itchiban!!!


The first night out in the bluewater, I didnt catch anything and didnt even feel any tug on my line but my jigs got defaced. Teeth marks were visible and paint even started feeling... What's wrong with me or what's wrong with my senses...?

I got pretty discouraged and the pressure was on me. My pals and other fellow anglers were getting hits and misses... Me? Nothing...

When the night was still young, we saw some squids swimming around. Since I had some squid jigs with me and I hestitated not. The squid was caught before the fishing action got hot.

Only one fell for the jig and 'hook up!'. For a moment, I told myself that I caught something before many others here. But what the heck... a SQUID!

Later on, a fellow angler asked me if I could let the squid be his bait.

"Why not?" I answered.

Mervyn took up the job to slice up the squid. The head was used as bait and 1/4 of the body was sliced nicely as sashimi.

Never in my life did I ever eat sotong (squid) sashimi. The sotong smell from the sotong sushi in local sushi restaurant kept me off them. I didnt want to try and I was pretty sure that I wouldnt.

Mervyn kept pestering me saying that the sotong is good stuff! I relented and ate a slice...

I AM ADDICTED!!! FOR A MOMENT, I AM THE SOTONG MONSTER... HAHAHA

Somehow, back home in Singapore, I still wouldnt dare to try as those served are already white in color. The ones I ate onboard of Barum were so fresh and the flesh was clear. Excellent texture and very sweet!!!

I WANT MORE. If only it is served fresh from the tank, otherwise, dont bother me.

No comments: