2004-10-10

20041008, I tied my first fly, a crazy charlie.

After a few years in flyfishing. I remembered two occasion that I tried to tie a fly. Both times, failed, without guidance. Eversince, I have never thought of doing it again.

Knowing that I would run of stock of flies, I spent time running around Phoenix, Arizona, USA to search for flies. Whenever I came across something that caught my eyes, I would cash in a few.

Other than stalls to stalls, I bidded for my flies in eBay too. Somehow, it is a much better deal than driving around and knowing not what was to be expected.

After fishing around, I discovered that crazy charlie is a very versatile fly pattern to use. I caught sunfish, blue gills, carps, kois(!!!), crappies, largemouth bass etc in the fresh water. Although I have not caught anything in salt yet, I experienced numerous success with peacock bass in Singapore fresh water catchment. A saltwater fly doing wonder in the fresh water realm. Great!

I came back to Singapore in 2002, end May. Now is 2004, Oct. My flies are running out. In Singapore right now, I believe only Coho is the only flyoutfitter in Singapore. Went there a few times and searched around too, flies are not cheap...

Somehow this aroused me to think of fly tying. I have never done it right. I have the VCDs to True North Flies Tying Guide and putting it to waste. Searching through my harddisk, I found them as white elephants in the PC zoo. Remembered that there's one about crazy charlie, so I opened up the video clip and took a look.

I being to struggle... within my mind...

After a few days, I was searching for vice to buy and all sorts of things relating to tying a crazy charlie. Although the cyberworld is wonderful, but I would still like to hear from someone who has enough experience to tell me something about everything in fly tying. Thus I went down to Coho to look for Henry...

Upon his professional explaination and advice, I asked him to get whatever I need to tie a crazy charlie. It all took less than an hour, my passion for fly tying is burning. Henry even showed me how he would tie a crazy charlie and also, demonstrated a few others too.

I went home happily after that and tried my first crazy charlie. Although still not very familiar with tying, I still managed to get 6 out within an hour. The next day, I made another 12 in my free time. I have a company of crazy charlies waiting for commands. Do or Die!

I was telling my wife that I need to test them out... and dear Jeremy actually asked me to go fishing the next morning. Oh great! This is gonna be the first time I use my self-tied flies to fish! I am so excited that I can't sleep right and thus I am writing this...

In a few hours time, it is going to be Judgement Day for my..... flies.....

I am hoping that the weather would be clear and beautiful.....

Stay tuned to my CR20041010... *under construction meanwhile*

clo.oP "Judgement day..."

No comments: