2006-10-17

When we just called the day to an end (the skipper just started the engine), the alarm rang and screamed! "Fish on!" I happened to be the one going to pick up that rod and reel to retrieve the rig when the alarm rang on me. Before my hands got to the setup, the engine noise hit the silent. I was kinda relunctant but it was time to head back for dinner. Everyone was exhausted and the dense air and haze were the major factors in wearing us out faster out at sea.
Just as I was about to pick up the rod, the rod jerked and the alarm sounded. Without hestitation, I picked up the rod and off the alarm, set the drag lever to strike... (waiting for the line to tighten...) I striked!!! Immediately, the line started peeling off the reel with amazing speed.
I won the fight in the end. The second sailfish of the day that was managed onboard for a photo session.
In this gloomy weather caused by haze, the sailfishs tend to stay deeper in the water and even during landing, the sailfishs dived and held on like 4-5m below the boat. Most of our sailfishs were lost due to this behaviour. When we tried to lift them up from the depth, they just dived. After several attempts, the leaders gave way...
Day one, sailfish 4 anglers 2.


No comments: