2006-11-01

SEVEN SEAS ARMORCLAD GT 77EX, 80EX.


First thing in the morning when I stepped into the shop, Joshua told me that the new Seven Seas ARMORCLAD GT XXEX series have arrived. Wow! I am excited but my excitment did not last for long.

When I first hold the 77EX in my hands, my excitment drops immediately. It is a heavy rod in my opinion when compared to Zenaq's or Smith's popping rods. I am a small guy, thus I think something lighter will suit me better. The previous Ultimate Z model is even heavier. The new ARMORCLAD is definitely very very much lighter when compared together.
One of the reasons for its weight other than the fancy wrapping (how heavy can this be??) is that the blank is thick at about 3mm.
Something that I notice from examining the rods is that those with fancy wrappings have serial numbers and those normal ones do not. (Dont ask me but they still come with the same factory warranty though.)

77Ex means the rod is 7 feet 7 inchces. 80EX, I am sure you already know.

As usual, Seven Seas's rods are very colorful with those fancy wrappings. For this round, some dont have the fancy wrappings at all. A fresh look for me. I think they really look nice as well if compared to the fancy wraps. Classic... not complicated.
When we load the rod, the tip is pretty forgiving and quoting from AG, he believes this rod casts really well. He says it feels like Zenaq Fokeeto popping series but just heavier. The butt strength is excellent but the Smith's popping series seem much brutal in power. Maybe this ARMORCLAD fits right in between the other two mentioned brands.
77EX and 80EX are capable of popper of 250grams accordingly. Great for 200grams poppers as not to forget that the split rings and hooks have weight too.
AG has bought one 77EX and I guess he is going to test it soon. Till then, maybe more feedbacks from users like him would better conclude about this rods.
Till then.

No comments: